This week I have been reminded over and over again that we serve a King, the most powerful King, the most amazing King, yet, the most humble King.
And, we are called to walk with Him daily. We are called to be truly devoted to Him in all that we do.
Sometimes, we tend to think that this is an impossible way of life, but a man in the Bible was so devoted to God that he was spared from death.
Enoch was devoted to God.
And when the LORD looked at Enoch’s life, He decided that Enoch’s walk was so good that Enoch needed to skip the pains of death and come on up to heaven. What was his life like? We must be able to learn some things from him.
New American Standard Bible (NASB)
21 Enoch lived sixty-five years, and became the father of Methuselah. 22 Then Enoch walked with God three hundred years after he became the father of Methuselah, and he had other sons and daughters. 23 So all the days of Enoch were three hundred and sixty-five years. 24 Enoch walked with God; and he was not, for God took him.
Enoch was a parent of many children, and he still managed to walk with God in such a way that God took him to Heaven early. I’m not positively certain, but I don’t think that God did that with anyone else in the Bible.
I only have 3 children, and I can’t get this whole walking with God thing mastered!
The Hebrew word translated “walk” is הָלַךְ (“halak”). What is amazing about this word is that it describes the way Enoch walked with God. It describes the way Enoch walked as a simple, steady walk with God. Enoch didn’t have lots of highs. He didn’t perform miracles. He was known throughout the land as an evangelist. He was simply a father that walked step by step devoted to his heavenly Father.
We often look for big things to do for God. We look for big moments to receive Him. Instead, let us just walk with Him, devoted to Him, step-by-step.
In the book of Hebrews, we find that God was pleased with Enoch’s simple walk.
What can we learn from Enoch? I’m learning a bit about Enoch through a bible study I’m getting to be a part of right now. This is what I have learned so far:
- Walking with God is pleasing God. You want to please God? Walk with Him. Simple, steady, day after day, month after month, year after year. Eliminate the clamor of this world!
- Enoch had a testimony because of his walk with God. Enoch’s walk gave him a story he could tell others. Sometimes we glamorize the extreme testimonies (for instance, when a drug addict turns to Jesus) but minimize the powerful testimony of someone who has walked with God all of their life. Let’s celebrate with all of those who are walking with Jesus!
- It is possible to please God! Without faith it is impossible to please God, but with faith it is possible.
- A person who walks with God will walk with Him during good days and bad days. You know God is always there. A person who walks with God craves a walk with Him, knowing that He rewards those who walk with Him with blessings that are out of this world!
- Develop a daily routine of time alone with God. Build this into your daily schedule. It is that important. Read the Bible. Pray. Think. Reflect. Respond.
- Walk with God all day long! Pray without ceasing.
- Learn to apply the Word of God to your life.
- Pray the Word of God. Read the Bible, and turn the Scriptures into a prayer to God. When you are saying God’s Word back to Him as a prayer, you know it pleases Him. And it is best for you.
What an amazing testimony to be able to say that we have had a steady, simple walk with our Father. What a testimony to leave!! I want to be devoted to God.